Most of us think that Counseling means advice. In counseling, the counselor gives advice and we follow it. In this way, we get a solution to our problems. But is counseling really limited to advice or suggestion? Does the advice of an expert make us so worthy; we get rid of our problems. There are different questions about counseling between people. Many people feel that counseling should be sought only by those who are facing mental disorders. So many think whether our problem is related to counseling or not?
So, in this article, we will answer this question and explain in detail what counseling means.
What is counseling and how can it help?
Counseling is a mutual relationship between Counselor and client in which the counselor expresses care and concern towards the client with a problem, and facilitates that person's personal growth and brings about change through self-knowledge and therapy. In the counseling process, the counselor not impose any decision or advice on the person, but he is assisted in such a way that he is able to make the decision himself.
The process includes addressing and resolving specific problems of the person, help him in decision making and coping with crisis, developing personal insights and knowledge, working through feelings of inner conflict, or improving relationships with others. In fact, counseling is a type of solution based on which the client learns to solve their problems. In this process, on the basis of mutual deliberation, conversation, and amicable reasoning, the person is assisted in such a way that he can take decisions related to his problems on his own.
For the mutual exchange of views, it is necessary to discuss in the atmosphere of harmony and on the plane of equality. The main objective of this idea exchange is the knowledge and maximum development of the abilities inherent in a person. In this way, counselors do not try to impose their views on clients continuously. In this way, a person is able to know how he can solve his problem. What is the nature of his problem?
The counseling process is a joint effort. The responsibility of the client is to try to convince himself and find the path he has to go and as soon as the problem arises, self-confidence is developed to solve it. The responsibility of the counselor is to provide assistance in this process whenever the client needs it. Counseling is to help the client to accept social obligations happily, to give him / her courage, which does not create an inferiority complex, and help him/her in achieving social and behavioral objectives.
The overall aim of the counseling process is to provide an opportunity for a person to work towards living more satisfyingly and resourcefully.
The Salient Features of Counselling Relationships
- An effective counselor is said to be the one who encourages his client in the direction of attaining counseling goals and as a result, they can get satisfaction and success.
- In counseling, decisions are not taken like teaching, but in counseling, the person decides on his own.
- The counselor gives adequate help in understanding the client through which he/she able to solve their problems.
- In counseling, one person helps to solve another person's problems in such a way that he learns from himself.
- The process helps the client to better able to form and maintain meaningful and satisfying relationships with other people: for example, within the family or workplace.
- In the process of counseling, the client's responsibility is to express himself and to ensure the path towards which he is to move forward. Counseling develops self-confidence for a solution.
- The process helps in developing insight for an understanding of the origins and development of emotional difficulties, leading to an increased capacity to take rational control over feelings and actions.
- The counselor helps the client to become more aware of thoughts and feelings that had been blocked off or denied.
- It helps in the modification or replacement of irrational beliefs or maladaptive behavior of clients.
The client's problem in counseling is personal. The client might be not emotionally stable. Therefore he is not able to take decisions; hence he requires someone who can help him. In the Gita, Arjun went to the battlefield, but after seeing his relatives, he refused to fight due to fascination towards them. In such a situation, he finds himself in a state of mental conflicts. He does not understand what is right and wrong in such a situation. He does not see the way forward. Krishna advises Arjuna - through deliberation, conversation, and reasoning, Arjuna frees him from attachment. Krishna answers his questions, leads him from confusion to clarity, and guides him.
This is a traditional example of the counseling process.
If you have any issues or Problems you can discuss with our counselors from the comfort of your home. You Can Avail online counseling from professionally qualified counselors in the privacy of your home as per your convenient time and let us help you make your life better.
You may also like